Do you want a futon but are looking for the most comfortable futon available on the market? They can be a staple in any home. Futons work perfectly in studio apartments or small dorm rooms but can be effective virtually anywhere. Therefore, they are also an excellent option for guests who need to sleep overnight. Futons are an ideal alternative to floor mattresses, as they are more comfortable and can serve as both bed and sofa, making your room spacious enough.
But all futons aren’t created equal. You would not want to have a guest sleeping on an uncomfortable mattress. However, the great news is that we’ve researched the most comfortable futons and created a review list on them, as well as a buying guide.
Top 10 Most Comfortable Futons Review
1. DHP Emily Futon
The DHP Emily Convertible Futon is a dainty and stylish piece. It combines every benefit and practicality of good old futons with the comfort and style of modern furnishing. In its beautiful Vanilla design, it can easily complement a Scandinavian interior. It can be folded for easy positioning, folding, and repositioning to a bed-like and a laid-back position to allow you to sleep on it.
- It is fashionable and stylish. It’s available in 4 different color options and can suit minimalist homes with its contemporary style.
- Designed in a split-back way so you can fold it down with ease to your preferred recline level.
- It is easy to assemble. You will not need to scratch your head in confusion or break your back since the product’s frame, and foam easily falls into place and can be used almost immediately.
- Easy to clean. Its faux leather upholstery is waterproof and isn’t prone to odor, moisture, or stains. You only need to wipe it using a damp cloth, allow it dry, and clean with a dry cloth.
- It is made with high-quality materials and is sure to last longer than average futons.
- After many years, the Futon begins to sink in, and becomes uncomfortable to lounge, sit in, or lie on. Also, at this time, the metal braces inside are hard and easily felt, making it uncomfortable too.
- The faux leather upholstery of the DHP Emily Convertible Futon begins to split and crack after use for a very long period.
The DHP Emily Convertible Futon is a piece of stylish interior furniture that is aesthetically pleasing, saves time, and can efficiently serve as a bed and sofa, whether for visiting guests who end up staying overnight or for personal use.
2. Novogratz Brittany Sofa Futon
The Novogratz Brittany Sofa Futon is popularly known for its low maintenance, functionality, and variety of colors. It is a favorite for guest sleeping. It has a linen upholstery which makes it easy to wipe clean for low maintenance. It has a unique vintage style which looks beautiful rather than outdated.
- Its unique color options, elegant design, and tufted linen upholstery make the futon worth the money.
- It is compact and lightweight which makes it perfect for apartment dwellers. For those who move regularly or do not want to spend much on furniture, this futon is ideal.
- The Novogratz Brittany Sofa Futon helps to save a lot of money without giving up style. The Futon makes a statement in a room. Also, you get a bed from the deal!
- The Novogratz Brittany Sofa Futon is comfortable for sitting and relaxing. It is made with durable foam filling and polyester, which gives the sofa a good structure.
- It isn’t hard to maintain as it is easy to clean.
- The company does not have standard furniture colors for the sofa. For instance, you can’t find black, white, or tan. Unless you want grey, you are going to choose bold sofa colors.
- It does not come with additional cushions. You may need extra cushions and pillows to soften up’’ the futon, which implies an additional cost. However, this helps to customize the appearance of your sofa.
Its customers highly rate the Novogratz Brittany Sofa Futon and its modern vintage-inspired design is a unique addition to your living room, delivering style and comfort in just one piece.
3. Nirvana Stanford Futon Set
The Nirvana Stanford futon has three different positions for your comfort. You can flick it backward for lounging, and it can as well be pulled down for your guests as a bed. Owners can choose the kind of firmness they desire from the mattress, and you also place rolling drawers underneath.
Your living space has a natural feel because of the hardwood frame, which is climate controlled, implying that it will not expand or shrink when temperature changes quickly. For a sofa futon that is built to last, fully adjustable and stylish you need look no further than the Nirvana Stanford futon set.
- It has a classic American cabin design, and its finish is layered to give an excellent lacquer which will not fade with time.
- Several choices that include rolling draws, 3-way adjustable seats, and mattress firmness
- Climate co-ordinate woods that make the sturdy frame to last long
- It is manufactured in the USA and comes with a 4-year warranty
- The Nirvana Stanford futon is a bit costly, though is worth every penny spent.
- It may be difficult or time-consuming to assemble, especially if you are doing it yourself.
The Nirvana Stanford futon mattress is considered as ’Medium Firm,’; which makes it perfect for people who weigh more than 120 pounds. It is also available in Queen sizes and Full sizes with a five-year warranty.
4. Kodiak Best Futon Sit Lounge Sleep
This lounger is small enough to suit certain spots you never thought you’;d be able to use it. If rearranging your room and you need to reposition it, it is light enough for a single person to move it conveniently.
The Kodiak Futon Sit Lounge comes in a variety of colors to match your home dÃ©cor while also adding character to the room. The pillows, made of polyester, can be easily removed and dry-cleaned. Either used as a bed or seat, you can be sure to have a comfortable experience with this lounge.
Also, the armrests do not have fixed positions and could be adjusted. When used as a bed, you only need to remove the pillows and lower the armrests. Place against a wall for the best comfort. The Kodiak Futon Sit Lounge is the perfect piece for a college dorm, studio, bedroom, guest room, etc.
- It is sturdy but lightweight.
- Its armrest can be adjusted for extra comfort.
- Come in a variety of color options as well as fun patterns.
- Pillow and mattress fabric are 20% Polyurethane foam, 80% blended cotton, and 100% Polyester blend.
- It is suitable for any room size.
- It is not waterproof.
- The mattress cover is tufted and, thus, cannot be removed.
With the Kodiak futon sit lounge, Futons have become more comfortable than they used to be. This soft and versatile seat offers you a comfortable resting position while also providing you a hitch-free seating experience, with its soft seat and adjustable armrests.
5. Nirvana Futons Westfield Wood Futon Frame
This queen-sized product is made of solid hardwood with a luxurious finish. This type of futon can accommodate the majority of futon mattress brands of similar size. You can convert it into a sofa, lounger, and bed. When used as a sofa, it provides you the usual comfort as a standard sofa. As a bed, the arm gets converted into the head.
The Nirvana Futons Westfield Futon Frame is available in full size and a design that will not disfigure the look of your room. Rather, it will give it an attractive look. Also, it comes with an anti-slip mechanism which ensures utmost safety, especially when used by older persons or younger children.
You don’;t have to worry about this product occupying an ample space in your room; it is space-saving. It is particularly suitable for people living in condominiums and small apartments, though it can be also be used by big homes that often accommodate guests.
- Has a sturdy and stylish design.
- It can accommodate 3 people on a sofa position and 2 people on a sleeping position.
- It is made from 100% sustainable heavy-duty wood.
- Features anti-slip mechanism, which ensures safety.
- The product comes with a five-year warranty.
- It is a bit low in height.
- You will need to buy its covers, pillows, and mattress before you use it.
The Nirvana Futons Westfield Futon Frame is constructed using durable and sustainable hardwood materials. Though it is only a frame, it is less expensive when compared to other brands such as the Jerry Sales Futon.
6. Better Homes and Gardens Wood Arm Futon
This Futon sofa-cum-bed features a contemporary design with a rich wood finish. You can use this piece as a sofa during the day and then convert it into a full-sized sleeper at night. What makes it unique is the fact that this conversion from a sofa to a sleeper is instant and effortless.
It has solid wooden arms with a solid metal frame to uphold its durability. Its eight-inch mattress is soft and comfortable for both sleeping and lounging. Its stylish soft twill cover will easily and perfectly blend with any modern or contemporary decor.
You can easily adjust them to your desired degree. Once you are satisfied with the position, it remains stationed and doesn’;t move. Both sides of the wood have slots for magazines and remotes.
- It has slots for magazines and remotes at the sides.
- The soft twill-covered mattress is available in navy, gray and oatmeal colors to blend with any dÃ©cor.
- Durable and lightweight
- It is inexpensive despite its quality and comfort it offers.
- Saves space and is suitable for any room size.
- It could be challenging to assemble, if not appropriately machined.
- The side pockets for keeping magazines are not very deep.
For modern living space, this Arm Futon is your best bet. Whether you are lying down or sitting on it, you can be sure to get complete support and comfort. It is a reliable and high-quality Futon sold for a low price.
7. DHP Aria Futon Couch
The DHP Aria Futon Couch perfectly blends classic design with modern construction. The mattress is made up of faux leather upholstery that is resistant to moisture damage as well as most stains. It also comes with a sturdy wooden frame and foam, which are very easy to assemble.
This product comes furnished with natural wood colored legs which makes it convert easily from a sleeper to a sofa. The exterior of the tufted white faux leather adds an extraordinary depth and visual texture to the product, mainly when used on a white interior furnishing.
When in a lying position, this product converts into an attractive twin sleeper that is suitable for two average-sized people. You only need to need some pillows to activate a comfortable sleepover.
- The product can be easily converted into a variety of positions sitting, reclining, and lying down.
- It is small and perfect for small living rooms as it doesn’t consume much space.
- Mattress with its faux leather upholstery makes this product easy to wipe clean.
- The wooden frame is classic, sturdy, and durable.
- The edges of the leather are prone to tears when not properly handled.
- If not done accordingly, its assemblage might take a long time.
Just like other DHP products, the DHP Aria Futon can be trusted with its great design and functionality and can also be used repeatedly for an extended period. With this product, you can have a complete living room solution by using its color to complement your existing dÃ©cor.
8. Best Choice Products Modern Futon Sofa Bed
This product is supported by metal chrome legs, which are thick enough to allow it carry up to 500 lbs. You can easily share this convertible couch with your partner irrespective of how you want to use it lounge, sit or sleep on it.
The body of this recliner couch is wrapped with PU leather with sewed box single stitching on its design which is tufted. Its faux leathers do not absorb any liquid.
With this futon sofa, you only require a minor assembly just the legs need to be attached. Its middle fold down in-built cup holders and armrests make it a suitable recliner sofa to see movies with friends while having popcorn in two hands with soda on the cup holders.
- The leathers are easy to clean when compared to fabric-upholstered pieces.
- It can conveniently accommodate two people of average sizes.
- The product can be easily converted into a sofa and bed.
- It is made of high-quality waterproof material.
- Its faux leather comes with the single stitching rather than the double stitching found with most leather furniture.
- It is most suitable for averagely-tall people due to its 13 inches height.
The Faux Leather Convertible Folding Futon is an affordable futon that is worthy of being an integral part of your room. The fact that its leathers are easy to clean makes it children- and spill-friendly. With this recliner couch, you can transform your theater room into a sophisticated and expensive-looking room.
9. Studio Bifold Futon – Full
This product is crafted from unfinished and solid Tulip Poplar, which is chemical-free and comes in a natural finish. It is solid and works perfectly with an existing thick futon mattress. It can be kept as a simple couch or converted into a bed effortlessly. It comes with four adjustable positions as a couch as well as a set of sturdy wheels.
Its simple design, clean and elegant lines make it suit any urban dÃ©cor. The wood is smooth and does not give out any chemical odor or smell. The cuts were well-made.
The product comes in a long box containing everything that pertains to the hardware. Thus, you are covered with clearly-illustrated instructions for assembly. Nevertheless, assembly time can take about an hour.
- It can be adjusted in four different adjustable positions.
- It comes with a five-year manufacturer’;s warranty.
- Assembly instructions are available.
- The product does not discharge any smell or chemical odor.
- It is lightweight and can be easily transported.
- It doesn’;t have armrests.
- A mattress is not included and, thus, needs to be purchased separately.
Though all frames are unfinished, the product is chemical-free. The frame easily pops up; you set it apart by unpinning to cotter-pins. The product is very sturdy and suitable for two people. When folded into bed mode, it converts to the standard bed height. Apart from this, its cost is relatively low, making it suitable for college students or people who move around a lot.
10. DIVANO ROMA FURNITURE Collection
This sofa-cum-bed is made of beautiful grain woods, ultra-soft fabrics, and luxuriously smooth leather. Though it is not a soft sofa, it is still comfortable to sit on. You can easily convert it from a sofa into a bed.
The legs are strong and sturdy. The split-back feature allows you to incline the back a bit when you require it to be more comfortable rather than being upright.
If you want to work on your personal computer or laptop, you can sit on this couch as it provides you a better or more attentive posture while also keeping you focused. When in a sitting position, the futon allows you to store pillows and blankets behind.
- It can be used as both a sofa and bed with an easy conversion.
- The product has exceptionally strong and durable legs.
- The product’s stiffness makes it better for sitting.
- It is lightweight and easy to move around.
- It isn’t comfortable to sleep on for an extended period.
- The back is not covered.
The Divano Plush Tufted Linen Fabric Split-back product is perfect for kids’; room. To make it a bit comfortable, you can use a pillow topper or cushy blanket. Nevertheless, this product comes with a relatively low price and is an excellent value for the price. It will add a cool vibe and a beautiful pop to your room. Even at the reasonably low price, you get real value for it.
Things to Consider Before Buying the Most Comfortable Futon
There are so many things to consider before purchasing a futon. Here are important factors to help you buy the most comfortable futon.
Comfort is essential when buying futons. Keep in mind that comfort isn’t only about sleeping well, but sitting comfortably as well. So if the futon is in your living room, your guests are likely to sit on it whenever they come visiting.
So ensure to purchase a futon that is comfortable for both sitting and sleeping. The kind of comfort you’ll get from a futon is determined by the material used to manufacture it. While some futons will be plush, others will be firm, and you can easily sink into the mattresses in comfort.
While looking to choose a comfortable futon, keep in mind how often you’ll be sleeping on it. If you’re considering using it occasionally for guests, you can consider buying a less expensive futon like a cotton-filled type.
If you’re planning to use it every night, you will need a high-quality futon mattress.
You should keep in mind that futons should serve two purposes: sometimes as a bed and in most cases as a seat cushion. So you should ensure that the futon is versatile to serve both purposes comfortably. Choose a futon that is easy to move around as well.
- Mattress Cover
Consider if you will need a cover for the futon so that you can choose one according to your color preference and fabric. Also, you can select between colors and solid patterns. The fabric options may include cotton, microsuede, and microfiber.
Some futons have water-resistant covers. But many do not. And this can affect the cost of the futon, so you should keep this in mind.
- Size of the Frame
Although queen size futons may be the most spacious and comfortable, it means that you will need to own already or purchase a queen-size frame, and this can be too large for small rooms. So, it’s good to take measurements of the room before attempting to buy a futon to avoid size constraints.
The materials used to manufacture a futon will determine its longevity. Ensure to purchase a futon that is made with long lasting materials.
Also, checking its warranty will help you to know how long the producer thinks the futon will last without having any problems. Keep in mind that for your futon to last long, you also need to maintain it properly.
Most futon mattresses are wonderfully cheap, and you can get high-end futons for a low price. Buying a high-quality futon for much less is easier than buying a high-quality couch.
- Sleeping Position
If you are used to sleeping on your side, consider buying a soft futon to allow your shoulders to sink into your mattress, and prevent pressure on your neck and spine.
But if you’re used to sleeping on your back, consider going for firmer futons which have elastic foams to relax your spine and support your back. If you’re the type who sleeps on the stomach, you should go for the firmest futon to prevent any strain to your neck.
In the past, futons were made of cotton materials, but currently, manufacturers are using polyester or foam to provide excellent support which are mold resistant than previous materials. They are designed to be used regularly just like mattresses. It is recommended that when buying a futon for comfortable sleep and all night use, you should consider one that’s made of top quality materials. We hope that after reading this buying guide and reviews of the most comfortable futons, you can walk confidently into a store and choose the perfect one.