Whether you’re an expectant mother or a young mother who has recently given birth to a beautiful bundle of joy, cleaning and organizing your baby supplies is one way of keeping him or her healthy. Other than your baby’s toys, your baby’s pack n play is another very crucial accessory that requires effective cleaning to reduce cases of bacterial infections.
You see, most people mistake allergies with other forms of infections. Before paying regular visits to your doctor or giving your baby highly nutritious meals to boost her immunity, paying maximum attention to where the baby is sleeping is one way of boosting their health.
Since your baby’s pack n play is where he or she sleeps, plays, eats and sometimes pees and poops on, it needs thorough cleaning to keep her healthy and safe. With that said, here are three methods that you can consider to clean your baby’s pack n play.
First Off, What Exactly is a Pack N Play?
In simple words, a pack n play is a rectangular cot that can fold and pack easily for easy mobility. Unlike popup cots and traditional square playpens, a pack n play has superior features such as sturdy lockable sides and it’s more durable and comfortable for your baby to rest in. Additionally, these units have more bells and whistles that include:
- A changing table
- Zippered pockets and pouches on the sides where you can fit your baby’s diapers
- A canopy that can be used to shield your baby from sunlight penetrating through the windows
- An entertainment center that combines sounds, vibrations, lights, and MP3 music.
- Suspension toys of soft animals and teddy bears that suspend above the cot
- A newborn napper or rather a small padded curved-in bed that’s clipped on top of the cot
Now that you know what a pack n play really is, this post will now proceed to discuss three effective methods you can use to clean this incredible baby product.
First and Foremost, You’ll Need:
- Cloth towel
- Baking soda
- A hose
The Scrub Method
- Take it outside: If you consider the scrub method, the first step is to take the pack n play outside or somewhere in the garage. This will help to prevent unnecessary splashing of water in the house. It will also provide you with ample space to clean your pack n play without any interference. If it has a mattress pad, simply remove it and put it inside the machine washer.
- Mix your cleaning solution: Next, mix a ½ cup of detergent to a bucket of warm water then agitate it to mix them perfectly. Dip a clean cloth or a brush to get ready to scrub.
- Time to scrub: Use the brush to literary scrub the mattress putting more effort into dirty areas particularly on the mesh.
- Rinse thoroughly: Since you’re outside, use a hose to splash clean water on the mattress until it’s clean. When you’re done, shake it gently to remove excess water before you can finally leave it to dry up.
- Let it dry: Finally, leave the pack n play to dry up on the sun. Always aim a hot day or else,you’ll have to keep taking the mattress out everyday until it’s entirely dry.
Deep Clean Method
In most cases, a deep clean method is necessary when the mess is particularly larger for a regular spot cleaning to work. Also, this method is required at least once every month to remove mold, bacteria, and dirt entirely to prevent allergy attacks.
- Place it in a bathtub: Start by fitting the mattress inside the tab. The best thing about the best mattress for pack n play is that it fits perfectly in most bathtubs.
- Add soap: As the water drains in the tub, mix the soap solution that includes; a ½ cup of laundry detergent, ¼ cup of vinegar, and a ¼ cup of baking soda. Agitate the mixture gently then leave it to soak for an hour. Here, you’ll have to flip it halfway to ensure uniformity.
- Rinse it thoroughly: When you’re done, rinse the mattress thoroughly either in the bathroom using a removable shower or take it outside to rinse it with a hose.
- Leave it to dry: When you’re through rinsing and double-checking for any stain leftovers, leave it to dry up naturally on a sunny day. Apart from just drying up, this will guarantee precise airflow in and out of the pack n play.
Regular Spot Cleaning Method
In the case of small messes, stains and spills, there’s no need for deep cleaning the pack n play as this can damage the foam material inside (if done regularly). Instead, a simple spot cleaning will be enough to remove the light stains.
- Soak it up: If the spills are mild, you can simply use a clean towel or paper towel to soak up the mess before it can penetrate inside the mattress.
- Using a spray mixture: Since the stain will be visible after spot cleaning, you can consider using a spray mixture to remove the tough stains. Here, you can use one part water and one part vinegar. Shake it gently then spray the affected areas.
- Machine wash the mattress pad/cover: In case your baby’s mattress has a pad or a cover, it’s a good practice to machine wash it regularly as it helps to remove dirt and allergens that can cause respiratory illnesses to your little angle.
If you’re an enthusiast parent, then I assume you know how crucial a pack n play is to your baby’s development. Not only is it a safe toy for your baby, but this unit is also home to your baby as it’s where they spends most of their time in.
So, cleaning it and ensuring that it maintains a good shape is vital as it protects your baby from health risks some of which respiratory illnesses.
Now that we’ve offered you everything you need to know about cleaning a pack n play, we only have one question for you; Did you enjoy the tutorial?