The best bunk beds are the ones that meet your specific needs and wants, whether these will be used in your children’;s bedrooms or in your guest room, perhaps even for your dormitory or hostel. Bunk beds are popular in homes and in the hospitality industry, among other places,because these are space-saving furniture that can also feature storage areas. Many of them have drawers, a table, and/or a workstation area, as well as the typical platforms for the mattresses and the ladder for the upper bunk.
While bunk beds are utilitarian in nature, there’;s no rule book saying that it cannot be stylish, too. Just as with any piece of furniture, form and function should be equally considered in bunk beds.
Here Are The 10 Best Bunk Bed Reviews
1. Storkcraft Caribou Solid Hardwood Twin Bunk Bed
Made of solid rubberwood, a significantly denser and sturdier material than pinewood, this Storkcraft Caribous bunk bed is among the best bunk beds because it meets the criteria for form and function. The clean lines no frilly carvings, no fussy attachments and the modern look make it suitable for both boys’; and girls’; rooms; parents can keep it for future use or give it away once their children have outgrown it. The bed looks and feels stable and sturdy even when the children are playing on it, a great feature for small frisky kids.
This bunk bed can also be configured to make two separate twin beds. Just remove the ladder and place the twin beds in whatever manner you like side by side or with a table in between them. The ladder and guardrails on the top bunk are also well-made so these can withstand countless going up and down as well as peering over the rails.
- Weighs 83.5 pounds
- Measures 79.1’’ x 42’’ x 64.7’’
- Rubberwood and composite materials
- Fits standard twin-sized mattresses
- Comes with full-sized slat roll mattress support
- Guardrails at the top bunk and ladder
- Its assembly is relatively easy although it takes time.
- It’;s sturdy and stable when assembled correctly.
- It can last for several years, perhaps even be a hand-me-down, due to its durable construction.
- It can be used as a bunk bed or two twin beds (i.e., versatile furniture).
- It has a unisex design suitable for children’;s and teenagers’; bedrooms.
- It doesn’;t come with mattresses but it’;s common in bunk bed purchases.
- It may be too simple for people who want more style in their bedroom furniture.
2. DHP Twin-Over-Twin Bunk Bed with Metal Frame and Ladder
With a white bunk bed, your children’;s bedroom has a fresher, cleaner feel to it, not to mention that white makes colored linens pop out, so to speak. Made of sturdy metal, this DHP twin-0ver-twin bunk bed should last for several years of nightly use with proper care, perhaps a repainting after a few years. Every part has been powder coated so the paint will stay for years, too.
While the front ladder attaches to the upper bunk for safety purposes, it juts out so there’;s more room for the person in the lower bunk to move around. But it can be a space-saving issue for some people. The upper bunk has guardrails at all sides so the bunk bed can be placed in the center of the room, if desired, instead of against the wall.
- Weighs 86 pounds
- Measures 78″ x 42″ x 62″
- Weight limit 200 pounds for the top bunk and 225 pounds for the bottom bunk
- Made of powder-coated metal for a sleep finish
- No boxsprings
- Accommodates twin-sized mattresses
- Ladder attached to frame
- Full-length guardrails
- It’;s sturdier and steadier than many wooden bunk beds, especially as there are no wooden slats to break.
- Its full-length guardrails adds an extra layer of safety, particularly for a child who rolls around while sleeping.
- It’;s easy to assemble with a few basic tools.
- It doesn’;t have sharp edges, peeling paint, and other signs of damage when delivered.
- It’;s reasonably priced.
- It doesn’;t come with its own set of mattresses.
- It may slightly shake when the children are being unusually frisky but it’;s normal in most bunk beds anyway.
3. Your Zone premium twin-over-full bunk bed
This Your Zone twin-over-full bunk bed is suitable for a family with three children who are still willing to share a bedroom. The upper twin-sized bunk will accommodate a single person while the lower bunk can comfortably accommodate two persons. This is truly a space-saving piece of bedroom furniture, especially for fairly small spaces.
The black metal frame has closely-spaced slats that ensures little limbs will not fall between them resulting in reduced risk of injury. Plus, the slats provide a completely flat platform for the mattresses, not to mention that there’;s no need to place a piece of plywood over the slats as protection for the mattress.
The upper bunk has guard rails all around so there’;s also reduced risk of a child falling down while rolling around in his or her sleep. The front ladder should be securely attached to the frame for safety reasons.
- Weight capacity for top bunk 200 pounds; for bottom bunk 450 pounds.
- Measures 78″ x 56.5″ x 63″
- Available in several colors including black
- Simple yet sophisticated design
- Metal frame with sleek powder finish
- It’;s solid, sturdy and stable when assembled according to instructions.
- It can accommodate up to three persons with combined weight capacity of 650 pounds
- It can be used in various settings including homes, dormitories, and hostels.
- It blends well with every dÃ©cor, from rustic to modern.
- It’;s heavy so it doesn’;t wobble as much as lighter bunk beds.
- It requires assembly although it’;s fairly easy with the detailed instructions included in the package.
- It doesn’;t come with mattresses.
4. Walker Edison Twin-Over-Twin Metal Bunk Bed
Made of steel with a powder coating finish, this Walker Edison bunk bed comes highly recommended because of its long-term durability. The thick posts, slats and ladders should withstand years of use by children, teens and even adults; these metal parts aren’;t prone to warping, bending and breaking with proper care, such as keeping within the weight limit. The bunk bed also comes with support slats so there’;s no need to purchase box springs separately.
This is a versatile bed in two ways, too. First, it can be used either as a twin-over-twin bunk bed or as two separate twin beds. Second, the ladder can also be attached to either of its end so the bunk bed can be positioned any which way you want.
The top bunk has full-length guardrails, a must-have safety feature for children’;s beds, while the bottom bunk has head and foot rails. The 44-inch clearance between the two beds is sufficient for parents to tuck their child to bed, too.
- Weighs 100 pounds
- Measures 68″ x 79″ x 42″
- Made of an all-metal frame and ladder
- Available in black, white and silver
- Convertible design
- Weight capacity for each bunk 250 pounds
- It comes ready-to-assemble and with step-by-step instructions, thus, assembly is quick and easy.
- It’;s a safe bunk bed for children due to its sturdy materials and stable construction.
- It’;s a versatile bunk bed so it gives great value for the money.
- Its bunks can accommodate mattresses up to 9’’ thick.
- It has a modern design suitable for children and teens.
- It requires a separate purchase for the bunk bed mattresses.
- It may have a slight wobble when heavier children are climbing up to the top bunk but it’;s stable otherwise.
5. ACME Allentown Twin/Twin Bunk Bed
When it comes to form and function, as well as durability, this Acme Allentown bunk bed is definitely among the best bunk beds! For one thing, it has an attractive design with its espresso finish, stylish hardware on the drawers, and slats for the headboard/ladder. This bunk bed is certainly suitable for a modern home with a sophisticated vibe.
For another thing, it has several uses that make it nearly an all-in-one bedroom furniture. Up to three persons can sleep and play on the bed one each on the top and bottom bunk and another one on the pull-out trundle bed. The trundle bed itself can be used as a larger drawer just remove the mattress in addition to the five drawers on the ladder.
If your children’;s bedroom is fairly small, then this bunk bed will be a great choice since it’;s both a bed and storage area. Plus, the ladder is so easy to climb since there are full-sized steps and places to hold on to.
- Weighs 286 pounds
- Measures 98’’ x 43’’ x 68’’
- Beds can accommodate mattresses up to 8’’ thick
- Made of sturdy wood with espresso finish
- Features full-length guardrails at the top bunk
- With built-in drawers and trundle bed
- It’;s relatively easy to assemble with basic tools.
- It’;s a versatile bed suitable for children and teenagers, as well as serve as both bed and wardrobe.
- It’;s a beautiful bunk bed for both boys and girls.
- It has a stable design since there are no legs while its wooden material seems solid and sturdy.
- It has several safety features.
- It’;s a heavy bed so it can be a challenge to transport.
- It can take up more space than the other bunk beds on the list.
6. Dorel Home Products Twin-Over-Full Futon Bunk Bed
This DHP twin-over-full futon bunk bed is a great choice for older children and teenagers, even adults, who want a bed and lounging area in a single piece of furniture. On the top, it features a twin-sized bed with full-sized guardrails suitable for sleeping. On the bottom, the bed can be used as a sofa with a futon mattress so it’;s suitable for sleeping and lounging.
The futon sofa can be easily and safely converted into a twin-sized bed with a few adjustments, and then back again. Be sure to use a futon mattress, not a regular mattress, on the bottom bunk if you plan on using it as a sofa; otherwise, it won’;t fold at the middle so well. The futon and regular mattresses have to be purchased separately.
The metal frame’;s simple design makes it appropriate for all types of accommodations from children’;s bedrooms to hospitality establishments. The placement of the ladder, however, isn’;t appropriate for small children who have difficulty in climbing up ladders while maintaining their balance.
- Weighs 116.5 pounds
- Measures 78’’ x 41.5’’ x 72.5’’
- Made of all-metal frame
- Features full-sized guardrails at the top bunk
- Comes with integrated ladder
- Available in black and white
- Convertible bottom bunk
- Its convertible design means that it can be used for more purposes than a typical bunk bed (i.e., great value for the money).
- It’;s easier to assemble than it looks although it will take some DIY skills to finish.
- It offers a comfortable place to sleep and relax in, a good feature for older children, teens, and adults.
- It feels solid and secure regardless of its usage.
- It has sufficient headroom on the bottom bunk.
- Its ladder may feel hard on the feet.
- Its design may be too simple for some people.
7. DHP Studio Loft Bunk Bed Over Desk and Bookcase
Yet another versatile piece of bedroom furniture is this DHP Studio Loft bunk bed, a three-in-one furniture that children, students and even young professionals living in apartments and studios will love. The top bunk is a twin-sized bed that can accommodate a mattress up to 6’’ thick, and it’;s sufficient for an average-sized person, whether a teen or a young adult. The full-sized guardrail reduces the risk of the person sleeping on it falling down; the mattress must be of the maximum thickness or below for safety reasons.
The bottom part features a workstation with a table and an open shelfon the right part while the left part has three open shelves. The shelves can be used for placing books, supplies, and knickknacks, among others, even a few clothes. The table itself can be used as a workstation with a laptop or desktop, office supplies, and other odds and ends.
- Made of durable metal
- Measures 41.5’’ x 77.5’’ x 74’’
- Weighs 125.5 pounds
- Available in silver and black powder-coated finish
- Features multiple safety slats and safety rails
- Bed accommodates twin-sized mattress (75’’ x 39’’)
- Weight capacity of bed 200 pounds
- It’;s a versatile bedroom furniture with uses for sleeping, studying and working.
- It features several shelves for more storage options.
- It’;s easy to assemble despite the seemingly complex design.
- It has a high clearance at the bottom area.
- It stays stable even with the shelves being full.
- Its ladder juts out.
- It isn’;t suitable for children under 6 years old.
8. Dorel Living Sierra Triple Bunk Bed, Mocha
Most bunk beds feature two beds but not so the Dorel Living Sierra Triple Bunk Bed since it obviously has three beds. This is a great option for a bedroom designed to accommodate three people, whether in a home or in a hostel. The design is as space-saving as you can get but be sure that the bedroom where it will be placed has a relatively high ceiling.
But the relative novelty of three beds in one doesn’;t stop there either it can be configured in two other ways in addition to it being a three-tiered bed. First, the three beds can be separated to create three twin beds. Second, the topmost bunk can be removed so two beds can be created a standard bunk bed and a daybed.
The bed slats are already included in the package so there’;s no need for box springs. The beds can accommodate twin-sized mattresses; purchased separately. The top two uppermost bunks have full-sized guardrails while the lowermost bunk has a headrest and footrest. There are two ladders situated opposite each other but there’;s still ample room for the persons occupying the lowest and middle bunks to move in and out of bed.
- Made of solid wood with mocha finish
- Measures 79. 25’’ x 43. 5’’ x 77. 13’’
- Can be assembled stacked or unstacked (i.e., bunk bed and daybed or separate beds)
- Item ships in two boxes
- It’;s a space-saving furniture that can be used in a wide variety of settings.
- It has a stable and solid design that makes it suitable for use by children.
- Its simple design is easy to blend with any existing dÃ©cor.
- It’;s a truly versatile bunk bed, thanks to its various configurations.
- Its assembly process is clearly stated in the manual.
- The two boxes can be shipped at different times so there’;s more waiting period involved.
- The bed may be too high for bedrooms with a low ceiling.
9. Mainstays` Twin Over Twin Wood Bunk Bed
This Mainstay bunk bed is also a convertible furniture it can be configured to either be a twin-over-twin bunk bed or two separate twin beds. The conversion is fairly easy since only a few screws have to be removed while the bunk bed assembly itself takes just a couple of hours or less depending on your DIY skills.
The main material used is solid wood so it’;s strong and sturdy for use by children, even the ones who can’;t seem to stand still when awake. The distance between the bed and the floor makes it easy for short legs to climb up while the clearance between the top and bottom beds allow for sitting up. The top bunk has full-sized guardrails and ladder designed for maximum safety.
Keep in mind that the beds already have bed slats included but only coil spring mattresses are recommended for optimum comfort and safety. The mattresses should also be of the appropriate thickness too thick and the guardrails will be rendered useless; too thin and comfort will be sacrificed.
- Solid wood material with metal hardware (i.e., screws)
- Convertible design
- Available in several color options, too
- Suitable for children 6 years old and above
- Weight capacity for each bed 200 pounds
- It’;s easy to assemble and disassemble (i.e., during conversion), thanks to well-illustrated instructions manual.
- It’;s a versatile bed due to its convertible design.
- It’;s made of solid wood so it should last for several years even with regular use.
- Its bed slats are well-spaced for comfort, support and safety.
- It’;s reasonably priced for its size and function.
- The ladder can only be placed in one location.
- The bed may have a slight wobble when children are roughhousing while on it.
10. Zinus Aileene Twin over Twin Classic Metal Bunk Bed
The selling point for this ZinusAileene twin-over-twin bunk bed is its quick-lock mechanism that makes it so easy to assemble, usually in an hour or so. The mechanism also makes the bed look and feel solid and stable, even when children are scrambling up and down the ladders. Just be sure to check that, indeed, every part that should be screwed and locked are, indeed, in place.
There are two ladders one at each end so access can be made at more points but the design itself isn’;t suitable for children under 6 years old who have difficulty maintaining balance while climbing. The bed, nonetheless, has a strong steel support, stable construction, and sufficient headroom that parents and children can appreciate. The support and slats also mean that there’;s no need for a box spring although a thick mattress for each bed is recommended.
- Weighs 93 pounds
- Measures 76.2’’ x 41.3’’ x 60.8’’
- All-metal frame
- Designed with quick-lock mechanism (patent pending)
- Features integrated ladders
- Weight limit for each bed 175 pounds
- It’;s easy to assemble and disassemble, if needed.
- It doesn’;t shake or squeak even with a few children on it.
- It looks and feels well-made, and its simple design makes it easy to spruce up with colorful linens.
- It can be placed in small bedrooms due to its compact size and features.
- It’;s easy to clean since it can be pushed and pulled easily by an adult.
- It may be too light for some parents.
- It doesn’;t have many features, such as built-in drawers and trundle bed.
How to Choose the Best Bunk Beds
With hundreds of bunk beds to choose from, it can be a challenging task to choose the best ones for your needs and wants, especially when you’;re choosing for your children. Fortunately, we can make it easier with these tips.
- Measure the room where the bunk bed will be placed:
You have to get your measuring tape out and measure the area where the bunk bed will be placed. You can then narrow down your choices based on the measurements of the area the width and length of the floor area as well as the height of the ceiling. Obviously, you have to choose a bunk bed that will fit into the area (width and length) as well as be high or low enough to provide head room for whoever is on the top bunk.
- Choose the type of bunk bed:
You have to consider the number of people who will be using the bunk bed, as well as the desired features, the ease of assembly, and the convertibility, if desired. You will find several types of bunk beds that will meet your specific requirements including but not limited to the following types.
- A standard bunk bed typically has two beds stacked on top of each other.
- A triple bunk bed consists of three beds; these are less common in homes but are more common in dormitories, hostels, and ships.
- A triple loft bed features a standard bunk bed and a loft bed in an L-shaped configuration.
- A twin-over-full bunk bed has a twin-sized bed at the top and a full-sized double bed at the bottom.
- A futon bunk bed has a bed on top and a convertible sofa-and-bed on the bottom.
- A trundle bunk bed can accommodate three persons since it features a standard bunk bed and a trundle bed tucked beneath the bottom bunk.
Depending on the model, these bunk beds may or may not have additional features butkeep in mind that with more features come a higher price. You have to determine first whether you want a straightforward bunk bed or a multipurpose piece of bedroom furniture.
If you want a multipurpose bedroom furniture, your next step is to decide the features that you want and willing to pay for. The features can include a staircase, a safer option than a ladder; a study desk, which may or may not have facilities for a keyboard, an electrical outlet, and a light fixture; and a set of storage drawers and/or shelves for clothes, supplies and other things.
- Select the material:
The most commonly used materials for bunk beds are wood and metal; in some cases, it’;s a combination of the two, such as wood for the frame and metal for the hardware. Both these materials are great choices although there are pros and cons for each type.
Regardless of the material, always check that the bunk bed is made of strong and sturdy material, constructed with stability and durability in mind, and made with safe substances like paint. The bunk bed should look and feel stable and sturdy when fully assembled, and there should be no visible cracking, bending, and warping of the frame’;s materials.
- Look for safety features:
Children are the typical users of bunk beds so it makes sense to check for safety features. These include sturdy ladders or stairs, full-sized guardrails, and rounded edges (i.e., no sharp edges jutting out).
Once the bunk bed is assembled, be sure to check that it doesn’;t wobble, shake and squeak when the children are on it. If it does, then you may have to check that the screws, slats and other parts are securely fastened.
Choosing the best bunk beds requires time, energy and effort because there are several factors to be considered, from the size and features to the price. But when you have chosen the best ones for your home or hospitality establishment, you will find that these are among the best investments you will ever make. After all, your children and/or your guests will use these bunk beds for several hours each day and it makes sense to ensure that they are comfortable and safe while doing so.