Cooler, lighter, and with just the right amount of plushness. That’s a perfect recipe for a deep slumber. And that’s what you will experience when you sleep with a feather pillow. Especially when the pillows are a combination of both down and feathers.
Sleeping with feather pillows is like taking a slumber on clouds. These lush pillows hug your body in the right places. And it provides extreme comfort and support. The downside is, feathers can poke out of these pillows. And once that happens, the pillow loses its plushness. But that won’t happen if you buy the best feather pillows!
We’re going to enlist the 10 best feather pillow brands that can give you a sweet slumber. And you’ll enjoy it for a very long time too. Keep scrolling to see our top picks.
Top 10 Best Feather Pillows Reviews
1. puredown Natural Goose Down Feather Pillows
If you want your head to sink into the pillows at an agreeable level, then the Puredown natural goose feather pillow is for you. This plush pillow is very comfortable and fluffy. It feels like you’re sleeping on clouds. But it provides ample support for your neck at the same time too.
The pillow covers are made of soft cotton and it’s quite thick too. The high-quality cotton cover ensures that no feathers will poke out. And the diamond laced quilting adds a luxurious touch to these pillows.
Also, it has a very breathable material. It keeps you cool during your sleep. And it’s perfect for the summer season. You could still get a cool restful slumber in the warmer season. So this pillow keeps you comfortable all year round. And if you’re looking for a pillow with moderate support, this is perfect for you.
- Made of 95 % grey goose feather and 5 % grey goose down
- Has a box stitch design to keep the inner fitting in place. The double diamond stitch design also makes the pillow look luxurious and classy
- Wrapped in a 100 % cotton with 233 thread count outer shell fabric to prevent feathers from poking out
- Bears the OXIPOWER and TWICE AS NICE certification. Thus, it has a lesser carbon footprint
- The manufacturing of the pillows follows the Responsible Down Standard. It strictly adhered to the humane treatment of animals.
- Offers medium neck support
2. JA COMFORTS Duck Feather and Down Bed Pillows
If you’re a back sleeper, you’ll find extreme comfort in the JA Comfort duck and down feather pillow. It has the proper ratio of softness and firmness. This ensures comfort. And at the same time, it gives your body the needed structure for support. This pillow can provide good support for your neck and back.
It’s a perfect pillow for side sleepers too. Pillows that are too soft and squishy can hurt your shoulders, neck, and back. With the decent level of firmness and support, side sleepers can experience a blissful slumber.
This pillow is adequately filled, not too soft nor too firm. It’s cushiony enough without losing the support for the neck. Also, the outer material feels luxurious. Made with 100 percent cotton, it’s quite breathable and cool to the touch. Some feather pillows may feel sticky and can be irritating to the skin but this brand feels so velvety soft and smooth.
- Made of 95 % grey duck feather and 5 % grey duck down
- Consists of 4 fabric layer technology. The first two layers are made of cotton while the last two layers are polyester material.
- Equipped with a double line technology that prevents feathers from escaping
- The outer cover is made of 100 % cotton
- Features an irritant-free outer cover
- Machine washable and dryer friendly
- Offers a 90 day trial period and has a three-year warranty
- Available in two sizes ( small and queen-size)
3. Continental Bedding 100% Premium White Goose Down Pillow
If you fancy sleeping in a posh hotel with an ultra-soft and comfortable pillow, this premium goose down pillow is suited for you. It’s ultra-soft without feeling too squishy. And at the same time, it provides ultimate support for your neck and head. It’s also a perfect pillow choice for those who sleep on their backs and sides.
And if you love options, you’ll definitely fall in love with this premium brand. You can choose between two types of cushion- firm or soft. And both pillows have perfect support that encourages proper spine alignment. So you wake up each day feeling refreshed and without any neck pain.
- Can be purchased in single or pairs
- Available in three sizes
- You have an option between a firm or a soft pillow
- The cover has 233 thread count and 100 % Egyptian cotton
- Made of a highly breathable fabric. The fabric is cool to the touch on hot days and gets warm in the cold season
- Light and weighs only 27 ounces
- Made in the USA
- Filed with 29 ounces of white goose down and 550 fill power
- Made from premium and high-grade materials
4. WENERSI Premium Goose Down Pillows
These are soft down pillows that can look good as new even with prolonged use. It’s very comfortable and cushioned, but it doesn’t feel like it has a ton of air inside. And it’s quite easy to re-fluff this plush pillow whenever needed. It can also provide adequate support for your neck and back. So even if you’re sleeping on the side or in a supine position, you wouldn’t wake up in the morning with a stiff neck. The outer cover is made of high grade, thick yet cooling material. It prevents the feathers from poking your skin.
The 32-ounce fill is just enough, it doesn’t feel lacking nor is it overstuffed. This makes the pillow quite flexible. So you can bunch them up in any direction that you want. And it will still retain its shape afterward. Also, this pillow provides the perfect balance of softness and firmness. If you want to enjoy the best of both worlds, then this is perfect for you.
- Filled with 85 % goose feathers and 15 % goose down blended
- Available in two sizes (queen or king size)
- You can choose between a firm and a soft Wenersi pillow
- Each pillow is customized and handmade
- The outer cover is made of 100 % cotton and has a brand exclusive double-stitched silver piped edging
- Available in packs of two
- Can be firmer than other down pillows due to the 32-ounce fill
- Has a breathable fabric that allows for more air circulation
- Boasts of a double-layered fabric design
- The pillow shell has antimicrobial properties. It’s also mold and mite resistant
5. downluxe Goose Feather Down Pillow
If you’re fond of sleeping in five-star hotels, you can make your own haven of comfort with these pillows. The Downluxe goose down feather pillows can lull you to sweet slumber with its soft plushness and Jacquard cotton pillow shell.
Some brands will just claim that their pillow is hypoallergenic. This is where this pillow stands out from the rest. The Jacquard cotton shell was tested by doctors. It’s one of those hypoallergenic pillows that have the sign of approval of a registered doctor.
So you’re sure that it’s really not irritating on the skin. This adds to your confidence in the product. Apart from the doctor-approved fabric, the highly breathable material feels cool and nice on the skin.
- Comes in sets of two
- Filled with 90 % goose feathers and 10 % goose down
- Available in two sizes (queen and king size)
- Double layered Jacquard cotton pillow shell with 300 thread count
- Features a double stitched piped seams. This keeps the feathers from popping out. The decorative seams add a luxurious and posh touch to this already high-end pillow
- Supports 30-day return
- Perfect for those with allergies. It’s hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant too
- It provides medium firmness
- Has a comfortable height of 20 inches
- Made of sustainable materials. You can enjoy a plush and luxurious pillow with a lesser carbon footprint
6. L LOVSOUL White Goose Down and Feather Bed Pillows
Weighing around 2 lbs, L LOVSOUL is a full stuffed goose down and feather pillow. It can fluff up to quite a large volume, so this pillow has a nice firmness to it. It can comfortably cradle your spine and neck in almost any sleeping position.
L LOVSOUL boasts of a unique three-chamber system. This system makes this pillow ultra-comfortable with the right amount of firmness for a good night’s sleep. The first chamber comprises 100 % goose, and the two inner chambers contain 90 % goose feather and 10 % goose down.
This luxurious pillow perhaps has one of the highest thread counts in the market. That’s why it gives you that firm yet soft cuddly, and cool feeling. It’s what sweet dreams are made of.
- Made of 100 % Egyptian cotton
- The elegant and nice quilted cover
- Has a unique three-chamber technology that makes the pillow comfortable and luxurious
- Covered in a thick pillow shell that prevents feathers from escaping or poking your skin.
- The blend of feathers offer maximum support for your neck and head
- Stitched with elegant gray piping around the edges
- Double-stitched for more durability
- Boasts of 1000 thread count
- Makes use of a cool and breathable material
- May function even better than a memory foam
- It offers a 30-day guarantee. You get a full refund in case you’re not satisfied with the product within 30 days.
7. PALAWRAN Goose Feather Pillow King Size Bed Pillow
If you’re looking for a softer pillow but can still provide decent support for your head and neck, the PALAWRAN goose feather pillow is perfect for you. These pillows are more of the cushiony soft side. But it still doesn’t shrink down after an overnight’s sleep. So it can still offer decent support.
Overall, this pillow is ideal for those who don’t like pillows that are too firm. The combination of natural and microfiber materials makes this pillow very elastic. It’s adjustable and easily conforms to the shape of your head. So it can still give that support. Unlike other soft pillows, you won’t wake up with a stiff neck despite its plushness.
- Comes in packs of two
- Filled with a combination of natural goose feathers and microfiber materials
- Boasts of materials that don’t retain heat. Thus, ensuring a cool and comfortable sleep
- Has 700 fill power
- The outer shell has 1200 thread count and is made of 100 % pure Egyptian cotton
- Offers 30-day money-back guarantee
- Available in 4 sizes
- Boasts of moderate firmness which is perfect for side and back sleepers
- It’s advisable to air out the pillows in proper ventilation every 6 months to keep it in its pristine condition
- It bounces back as soon as remove your head from the pillow
8. Homelike Moment Down Feather Pillows
Sleep to a sweet serenity with HOMELIKE MOMENT pillows. These medium firm pillows can provide the proper neck support so you won’t wake up with a strained neck. Also, it has a dreamy cushion that feels like you’re sleeping on clouds.
It’s double-layered to prevent mites infestation. So all you’ll have is a good night’s sleep. The design also looks luxurious and is functional at the same time. The pillows boast of a gusseted edge. It makes this pillow luxurious, and at the same time, it also ensures that it will lift up to a decent height for optimum comfort. It also features embossed blue piping at the sides. This lends the pillow a particular charm and it looks posh too.
- Available in three sizes ( standard, queen, and king size)
- Bear the OEKO TEK STANDARD. Thus, you can be assured that the pillows are free from any harmful substances or chemicals. In addition, feather materials are RDS certified.
- The outer shell is 100 % cotton
- It consists of three chambers. The outer chamber has microfiber material. While 95 percent feather and 5 percent down are packed in the inner chambers
- Comes in packs of two
- Washing machine friendly. It can also be tumbled dry
- Double-stitched for elegance and durability
- Has a 500 fill power
9. AIKOFUL White Goose Down Bed Pillow
If you’re fond of velvety soft pillows, you’ll be satisfied with AIKOFUL white goose down pillows. It feels luxuriously soft without feeling overfilled. In addition, the pillow shell is comfortable too. It’s soft to the skin but you wouldn’t feel any feathers poking out.
It’s ultra-soft but it doesn’t have that plushness that fills to the brim. An advantage of that is that it can be molded to satisfy your needs. It easily molds to the shape of your neck and head, thereby providing you the needed support. And since it comes in two different loft types, you’ll find the perfect pillow for a good night’s sleep.
- Comprised of 85 % white goose feather and 15 % white goose down
- 100 % cotton pillow shell
- The outer fabric is treated with Ultra-Fresh. Ultra-Fresh has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties that are often used in luxury pillows. And this compound adhered to strict international standards for safety and comfort
- Features fine needle stitching
- The gray piping at the side prevents the feathers from escaping. And at the same time lends a luxurious touch to the pillows
- Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Available in 2 sizes and 2 loft types
- Has a recyclable packaging
- The pillows are Bluesign Verified, so its rated safe for pets, babies, and those with allergies
10. PEACE NEST Down Pillow Set of 2
These pillows are very plump, thicker, and look rather full on your bed. So if you love extra large pillows, then this is for you. Some users even find it too large to fit a standard pillowcase.
It has a moderate firmness. And that makes it comfortable and it’s recommended for back and side sleepers. And they could be one of the puffiest pillows on our list. It can hold its luxurious puff even if it has been regularly tossed in the washing machine and dryer.
These pillows rarely go flat. So it’s perfect for those who want their pillows with a little more loft and lots of plushness.
- 100 % cotton pillow shell
- Available in two sizes ( queen and king size)
- Has RDS certification. This means that it has adhered to the humane standard of animal treatment.
- Washing machine and dryer friendly
- Highly recommended for those who sleep on their sides and back
- Breathable material
- Contains 95 % goose feathers and 5 % goose down
- Features a light blue satin edging that makes the pillow look posh
- These pillows have a subtle sweet scent
- Offers 30-day manufacturer return
- Features a medium-density fill. This gives the pillows medium firmness. Also, it has 37 ounces of fill.
What is a Feather Pillow?
Feather pillows are composed of bird feathers, particularly those from the wings and back. It contains the quill of a bird. When we say quill, this is the entire feather structure of a bird. That lends feather pillows a more rigid and flat structure.
When compared to down pillows, feather pillows are more crisp and firm. So feather pillows have a more rigid structure than down pillows. The latter being too mushy and soft. Also, a pure feather pillow tends to flatten out quicker. This is because, over time, the feathers shift and align with one another.
Available Sizes of Feather Pillows
Is it the bigger the better? Not necessarily. To get the utmost comfort, you need to get a pillow size that’s just perfect for your body and your bed too. And of course, the bigger the pillow, the more costly it can be.
Here are common pillow sizes that you can choose from:
Standard pillows easily get sold. That’s because they’re the cheapest and they’re the universal pillow size. This size is also the most compact. And it fits most beds of a lot of people.
- Super standards
Super standard sizes are a notch higher than the standard size. It‘s two inches longer than standard sizes. This also the second-best option in terms of cost and versatility.
- Queen size
Queen-size pillows are 4 inches longer than the standard size. This is perfect for those who sleep with legs sprawled all over the bed.
- King size
This is perfect for those who are looking for optimum comfort. King size pillows can line your entire headboard. They’re also perfect as a backrest and headrest. King Size pillows are 10 inches longer than standard size pillows. King size pillows also perfectly fill the width of 72-inch king-sized beds.
Body pillows hug your entire body. If you need a lot of cushion from your head, neck, shoulder up to your legs, this pillow is for you. This is perfect for those snuggle bugs.
Euro pillows are square-shaped. These pillows are often used in combination with other pillow sizes to create some contrast in your bedroom.
Pros of Feather Pillows
Here are some of the advantages of feather pillows:
- Soft but with decent support
Pure feather pillows can also be soft and quite comfortable. Since it has a combination of both firmness and softness, it can safely cradle the neck and head. Thus, providing enough support. That’s why you always wake up in the morning without any neck or back pain.
And when compared to down, your head doesn’t sink into the cloud-like softness, so it’s perfect for all sleeping positions.
Another advantage of feather pillows is that they can be molded and are malleable. Since the quills can be shifted, it’s easy to mold the shape of the pillow according to your needs. Scrunching it up any way you want has been a norm when it comes to feather pillows.
- Lasts longer
Feather pillows also tend to last for the long haul. They pretty much retain their shape even if it has been in the washing machine and dryer for repeated times. So it’s pretty much a good investment for your bedroom. Also, compared to synthetic pillows, these pillows are “light as a feather.” Naturally, they would be since they are filled with natural bird feathers!
- Easy to care for
And lastly, most feather pillows are low maintenance. It’s safe to pop them in the washing machine and dryer. Often, you don’t need to have it professionally dry cleaned to maintain its quality.
Cons of Feather Pillows
Here are some cons of feather pillows. But take note that disadvantages lessen if you buy a reputable feather pillow brand.
- Needs regular re-fluffing
The quills of the feather shift over time, so there’s always a tendency for the pillows to flatten out as compared to down. So whenever the feathers align, there might be a need to shift the pillow every now and then to still get the same amount of support and comfort. Might need to do the fluffing and shifting often as your pillow gets older.
- Can make noise
With other brands, you may also experience a bit of noise. The feathers make noise when they are scrunched up.
- Feathers can poke through the shell
The quills are hard structures, so they can make some noise whenever you lay your head on them. And if the pillow shell is thin and of low quality, you can even feel the quills underneath the cover.
- Funky smell
And since they’re natural feathers they also have an unpleasant smell. Though the best brands have the feathers cleaned and sanitized to prevent the funky bird smell.
How to Clean and Take Care of Feather Pillows?
Feather pillows are more low maintenance than down pillows. Since they’re mostly machine and tumble-dry friendly, it’s easier to keep it clean. But that doesn’t mean you’d just toss them in the washing machine and allow it to do its work.
You still need to do some TLC to maintain its quality. Here are some steps to prolong the comfort that you get from your feather pillows.
- Washing of the pillows
It’s best advised to follow the proper washing instructions. But if it’s not available, here are simple steps on how to wash your feather pillows:
- Use cold water for washing your feather pillows. And press the gentle cycle.
- Use a low sudsing detergent. Toss in around 2 tsp of low sud detergent. Suds can destroy the integrity of your feather pillows
- Rinse in cold water
- Then opt for an extra rinse cycle
- Don’t use fabric conditioner
- Pop in the dryer under medium heat. You can also fluff the pillow before drying
- Wash your feather pillows on a sunny day. Refrain from washing if there’s high humidity
- Don’t go to bed with wet and greasy hair. These can destroy the integrity of your feather pillows.
- Use pillow covers
Your hair and face still produce oil. So get a pillow shell to protect your feather pillows. This also ensures that feathers won’t escape or poke your skin. A good one would be pillow shells with 25 thread counts or higher.
Also, it’s best to get shells that can be zipped up. This protects your pillows from staining should you accidentally spilled a beverage on it.
To maximize comfort, change pillowcase at least once a week. This also prevents the accumulation of oil and grease that might seep through the pillow shell.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Feather Pillow
Before you head out to the store, there are some considerations that you might want to look at before buying.
- Thread count
The higher the thread count, the more tightly woven the materials are. The best feather pillows contain an outer shell that has a high thread count. The quills are solid structure and have the possibility of poking out of the pillowcase. So a pillow shell with a higher thread count prevents any feathers from poking out of the cover. Also, pillows with higher thread count are softer and feel more luxurious.
- Level of firmness
Some want their pillow super soft while others need more firmness for decent head and neck support. The level of fairness is dictated by the ratio of the feathers vs the down. Feathers are more rigid and they give structure to the pillow.
And too much of it can make the pillow too firm. Down, on the other hand, insulates the pillow. It lends the pillow the cushions and softness. So in choosing your feather pillow, distinguish the ratio of down vs the feather. The more feather it contains, the more firm the pillow is.
- Fill power
Fill power refers to how many ounces of feathers and down is in the pillow. This determines the fluffiness of your pillow. The higher the fill, the fluffier your pillow gets. Since it’s brimming at the sleeves with feathers and down, it’s more compact and plush. Pillows with a higher fill power tend to be more expensive, but it can last longer. And the chances of it flattening out is seldom.
- Which side do you sleep on?
Why does it matter? To get the best support for your neck, back, and head, you need to consider your sleeping position. Though most of the best brands are comfortable for almost all sleeping positions, you might just need a few modifications.
Side sleepers, for instance, may need a more firm feather pillow. You need support for your shoulders, neck, and back. A pillow that’s too soft may hurt your body. If you sleep on your stomach, you need a softer pillow. A pillow that is too firm may not allow your head to comfortably lie and it may result in a stiff neck. And if you sleep on your back, a medium support feather pillow will help you keep a neutral position.
- Any allergies
It’s a common myth that feather pillows can trigger your allergy. It’s actually no different than a regular pillow. You may ask why, since natural feathers may have a distinct smell and may contain microorganism
It’s because these feathers have been sanitized and cleaned before filling. So like regular pillows, they’re also safe for those who have allergies. But if you still experience an allergy, you may need to change your pillowcase more often. A dirty pillowcase can harbor a lot of mites, fungi, and other microorganisms that can trigger an allergy attack
Some feather pillows may also contain synthetic or microfiber materials. Some may also contain polyester. Ensure that you don’t have allergies to these before buying.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How long does a feather pillow last?
When properly washed and taken cared of, feather pillows can last up to 7 years.
- Are feather pillows safe?
The feather came from live birds. And these feathers can harbor some living microorganisms, fungus, and bacteria. These can cause an unpleasant odor and can trigger allergies of some people. That’s where the question of safety arises.
But the best brands have all the feathers sanitized and cleaned before stuffing. And they adhered to strict international standards for safety. So you’re pretty sure that your favorite feather pillow brand is rendered safe to use already.
- How often do I change my pillows?
Feather pillows can last up to 7 years when properly taken cared of. But if you have any kind of allergies, it’s recommended to change your pillows every 2-3 years.
- Why do feather pillows stink?
Feather pillows are tightly vacuum sealed. So initially, it can really inhibit some sort of funky smell. But this would disperse eventually.
If it stills smells, check the stitching at the sides and see if any holes or quills are poking out. It will also help if you lay it out in the sun once in a while. Fresh air and a healthy dose of sunshine can remove any unpleasant odors.
And make sure you have fully rinsed your pillow. Sometimes, the unpleasant smell can be a result of soap residue. That’s why it’s advisable to run another extra cycle on the rinse.
- Which is better: feather or down pillows?
Well, that depends on your needs and preferences. Down pillows are like sleeping on clouds, but they may lack structure. Feather pillows, on the other hand, offer more back and neck support, but they are crispier and can flatten.
That’s why a lot of the best brands make use of a combination of both down and feather fillings, so that consumers will get the best of both worlds. So you get that cushiony plush feel while getting the needed support for your neck and head.
Soft, comfortable, and firm pillows at the same time. This is what you need to get a dreamy sleep. Before, you tend to just buy the softest pillow that you can get your hands on. But you wouldn’t do that anymore.
Feather pillows are more comfortable and they’re eco-friendly too. Not to mention, you will not get the same luxurious experience with a synthetic pillow. The best feather pillows can do wonders for your sleep. You get that quality snooze without waking up in the morning with a stiff neck or a bad back.